As we were working last week doing a wallpaper installation, we received a call asking for a price to install wallpaper in a bathroom. The customer asked us several questions about our pricing. We in turn had to ask the customer a few questions such as:
- What are the dimensions of the bathroom?
- Is the room painted or does it have wallpaper needing to be removed?
- Have you selected a wallpaper for the room yet?
- What type of wallpaper has been selected? (Grasscloth, self stick, commercial)
The answer we received for 3 of these questions was “we are not sure”. Do the size of the room and the wallpaper being installed really matter to give an estimated cost to install wallpaper? Yes, it does.
- Wallpapers all require some prep work.
- Some call for specialized primers to be used prior to installation.
- Self Stick wallpapers have issues with paint that are low VOC
- There are different requirements for the type of adhesive or glue to be used.
- Depending on the wallpaper it will take longer to install as various wallpapers require them to be wet (pasted with glue) to allow the glue to set up time prior to installation.
- The cost of wallpaper in the Chicago area can vary also depending on the location, i.e. downtown will be more due to travel, parking building restrictions etc.
So…what is the cost to install wallpaper in the Chicago area?
There are some wallpaper installations that are fairly simple to estimate. And without getting into too many details which may just really bore you, expect to pay about $580 to do an installation. There are always fixed costs such as:
- tools used
- primers used
- materials to apply primers and adhesives
- workman’s comp
- standard insurance policy
- and of course taxes.
This may not answer all of your questions regarding cost to install wallpaper for your home or business, but it is a start as to what we need to know what is the minimum cost for an installation in the Chicago area.