Are you debating about painting a room yourself or having someone else paint it for you? Among other considerations, one of the top questions will be- How much does it cost to paint a room?
There are many factors and things to consider when looking to have a room painted, we will walk you through our process and what you can expect to pay us to paint your room.
Will you travel to our home for a painting project?
This is one of the top questions we receive from customers when they call us. We have our office in Elgin, IL as well as a spray booth for painting cabinets that we rent in Crystal Lake, IL. For the past 10 years we have served people all over the Chicagoland area such as:
- Pingree Grove
- West Dundee
- St. Charles
- Downers Grove
- Lake Forest
These are just a few of the many cities we serve. If you are not on this list, just ask because odds are we will.
I will warn those of you living in Chicago, we will come there but there is always an upcharge due to travel time, restrictions with parking, driving, hours to get in and out of buildings etc.
How much will it cost to just paint the walls?
Pretty easy question right? Well here are the questions we ask for that one request?
- What color are you looking to have painted?
- What sheen are you looking to have on your walls?
- What type of paint are you looking to use? (contractors grade, premium or high washable)
- Is there any damage to the walls?
- Are you keeping all your window treatments?
- Are you painting outlet and switch plate covers?
- Do the walls have any issues such as being excessively cold in the winter?
- Are there any issues such as hair products, crayons, magic markers, or other stains that we need to look at?
- Are there heavy objects that need to be moved?
- What is the size of the room? (foyer will be more)
All of these issues can affect the cost. The time needed to make repairs, special primers to cover sharpies on the walls, all affect the cost. Some of the items like heavy furniture may require 2 painters on your project vs 1.
All things being equal, we will charge about $480.00 to paint a average size say 12×12 room. Just keep in mind the above questions as that can affect the final cost.
How much will the estimate to paint my room change by adding ceilings?
For the most part, painting ceilings is a very easy add on to the paint project. Knowing what color is usually the hardest part. The questions we ask above will also play a part in the cost of the room, but typically expect 25% of the existing cost to be the charge for the ceiling in the above quote of $480, you can expect to add about $90-$110
So how much will it cost to me paint the trim in the room as well?
The first thing we need to know is if the trim is painted white already. If you have wood trim like above, then there are several issues and factors that will affect cost. Sometimes painting the wood trim is as much as painting the room itself…sometimes more. The steps we have to take to paint wood trim are:
- Filling all nail holes.
- Caulking the trim to wall.
- If there are multi layers (2-3 pieces), then they each have to be caulked as well.
- All the wood has to be cleaned.
- We will need to prime the wood.
- Then we can paint it.
If your trim is white already, we just need to know if it is base trim, crown, windows and doors? Expect to add at least $200 if doing doors and trim.
Did this help? We hope so. If you have more questions about how much your room will cost to get painted, then please call or text! We want to help you love the space you’re in!
Get a Free Estimate
We would love to hear how we can help you love your home or office.or call us at (847) 553-1726